You know, I personally have a problem with the labeling of nonreligious persons as "atheists".
What does that term mean? Adding the prefix "a" to any word changes the definition of that word to it's opposite. A theist is generally considered someone who believes in a god or religion, so naturally, an atheist is an "anti-theist".
Now, the reason I have a problem with this is, not all non-religious people are actually against theism or theists. When you think about it, the term atheism is actually pretty offensive to nonreligious people. When you call yourself an atheist, or when someone else calls you an atheism, you are confiding or being confound in a world where religion and theism dominates. The theistic majority is calling you out for anti-theism.
It actually makes sense how nonreligious people ended up coining the term atheist. When the term was invented a few centuries ago, the world was dominated completely by religion. With the rule of churches in England, and even the roots of Christianity in colonial America, you were either with the religious rulers, or against them. This is how I personally think that the term "atheist" may have been coined.
We're not atheists; there is no such thing in atheism. Calling it atheism suggests I live my life completely against those of a religious nature, but in actuality, we all live extremely similar lives. We live for the spread love, just like you religious people do. We are just humans; we're all humans. You may be a theist, but I am not an atheist.
No comments:
Post a Comment